Technology with a Purpose
There is saying, “Growing ivy on a school’s walls does not guarantee a first rate education, any more than giving a student a computer guarantees they will become get higher test scores.” Today, technology is often perceived as the modern engine of progress. People perceive that an important factor of a good school is how many computers it has. Although Toledo Christian has an impressive 3 to 1 student to computer ratio and some of the best technological infrastructure found anywhere in NW Ohio, we do not measure the success of our technology program by the number of computers.
In fact, studies have shown that schools which provided laptops for every student saw a decline in academics rather than improvement. Students spent more time surfing the Internet for non-educational purposes and less time studying for tests and homework.
At Toledo Christian we strive to use the blessings that God gave in a way to help students learn to use technology in a way that is pleasing to God and useful to becoming a productive servant of Christ. Our program emphasizes the use of technology in a way that promotes learning and responsible use of the Internet and other electronic devices. In a rapidly growing technological society we believe a technology program is more than great computers, but one whose purpose is to raise the standard of academic achievement and godly character.
A few of the blessings we have received…
State-of-the-art computer labs
- New computers every year. We have Windows 7 on all computers.
- 2 Main Computer Labs and 2 Mobile Labs
- Television Studio loaded with state of the art video editing equipment.
Video Conferencing Capability
- Students can interact live with NASA astronauts, watch an open heart surgery performed live or even visit the Zoo in Sydney Australia without going there. The possibilities here are endless.
High Speed Internet and computers in every classroom.
- Our high speed Internet connection and network capability can be found in every classroom.
Wireless Systems - 802.11n
- Students can work from their wireless PDA's or Laptops anywhere in the building with full Internet and network capability without any wires!
Cutting Edge Classes
We offer a wide range of computer classes for grades 6-12 as well as weekly structured computer classes for elementary beginning in 2nd grade.
- Computers For All - Intermediate computer skills, M.S. Office, Web page design
- Computer Graphics - Students learn the Art of 3D animation and Graphic design.
- Information Systems - Students will be learn the basics of networking and its various protocols with emphasis on TCP/IP. As to keep with the current trend of new languages and applications currently being developed for networks, students will design programs in a project oriented format for use with Internet applications. This will include discussions of SQL databases and other web-based languages.
- Computer Science - This course provides a basic groundwork for students who will pursue a career in computer science or engineering. With a “hands on” approach, students will learn the history of language development, the elements of each language and the various logic operators associated with then and be able to write simple programs in HTML, Basic, Visual Basic, and others.
- Word Processing and Keyboarding - Students not only learn typing skills, but how to write reports and business letters of all kinds.
- Television Production - Students learn the ins and outs of producing their own television programs as well as producing live broadcast.
- Computer Fundamentals - Basic Computer Skills for Junior High Students.
- Elementary computer classes for grades K-5.
- MyTCS is our real-time information and communication system which allows parents to see the teacher's grade book, homework assignments, or even what their student ate for lunch that day. It puts all the information a parent needs in one convenient place.
Remote Access from Home
- All students and faculty have their own personal server space where they store their documents while working at school. Access to these documents is also available from home. This allows students to easily transfer their work between home and school without having to save to a disk.
- Even more impressive is our Remote Access System which allows students to work on school computers and run all the new software from from home as if they were working at school.
A Great Web Site
- A great place for the TCS community to share information.
- The newest edition to our program is a television studio where students produce their own programs.
- Students also use this facility to produce morning announcement news casts.
Technology Program Key Verse:
“Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives.” Titus 3:14 NIV